Friday 7 June 2013

This is a poem I had written last year when I had first witnessed this amazing phenomenon-The Mumbai Rains. Unfortunately, it didn't rain much last year but whatever I experienced was enough for me, a former Delhiite. Nevertheless, I really do hope it rains cats and dogs this year. I'm sure I'm not the only one who adores the monsoons so much! It truly is my favourite season. Here is an ode to the rains. Hopefully I have been able to capture its beauty and nature that is sometimes naughty, sometimes nice, coated with sugar and filled with spice!

Mumbai Rains

A clear white sky is what I see
The raging sun burns down on me
My mind stops working and I feel low
Suddenly cool winds start to blow.

Stealthily dark clouds appear
The sky is left grey, unclear
Thunder, lightning come in power
Followed by a thunder shower.

Now it seems like the clouds just burst
To quickly quench poor earth's thirst
The world around me has gone dim
The Arabian Sea fills to its brim.

The rain retreats leaving puddles behind
Soon dark clouds get hard to find
The sky looks clear, the sun shines bright
Traffic jams become a common sight.

Sometimes naughty, sometimes nice
They fill our lives with sweet and spice
Unpredictable and never plain
The Mumbai Rains are here again!


Antara

2 comments:

  1. Mumbai rains..!!! sigh...bring back so many memories. Rain connects dots. Each and every detail, the smell of wet ground, the fun i had with friends is stored in the mental cabinet of my brain where I store things worth remembering. Your poem brought back a lot of memories :D
    And maybe that's what poems are supposed to do! very nicely written :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me rains are a sort of lifeline. Like its drops rejuvenate the earth, rains seem to rejuvenate my soul. People seem to compare rains with gloom, but as per me, it is the happiest season, when everything is fresh and green, full of life.
      They have different significance in my life and yours but as long as they bring happy memories, they are worth talking about.

      Am glad you liked my poem.:)

      Delete