Sunday 16 December 2012



I have never really been a good judge of character. Well, that is just me being a little too modest. I am the worst judge of character that ever was, is or will be seen if we do actually make it through 2012 without the world coming to an end.

How has it affected me? Uh, well.... Let me be an optimist and say that it has turned me into a stronger, more mature and a lot more balanced individual. But since we are at it, it has also killed parts of me that I know I can never get back.  

Why has it affected me so much? The answer to this is simple. It's because I myself  gave others the key to do so. I mean think of it logically. If you yourself don't give others the access to your innermost feelings and thoughts, is there a way in which they can control your moods or feelings? Agreed that no relationship can be established without letting others in, but the question that arises is to what extent? Should we tell them everything? Yes, there are chances that the person would understand us and henceforth we would be inseparable for life. But can anyone deny the fact that it can backfire as well. And if it does aren't the stakes just too high? You are giving the other person access to the part that controls you, your heart.

You might think of me as a pessimist. I found this trait of not letting anyone in and keeping your guards up extremely pessimistic too. But trust me, there is one thing that I have learnt in the past few days that it's much more important to know the extent to which a person is to be trusted than knowing who to trust. This not only keeps us away from trouble, but more importantly, saves our heart from being broken. Even if you do decide to trust someone, you should also try to think that if it does backfire how much its going to hurt and prepare a safety net for yourself to fall back on.

I don't think I'll ever be a good judge of character but one thing that I know is that I am getting better at knowing the extents to which it is safe to trust someone. And this has definitely made my bitter encounters with certain people hurt a lot less.....

1 comment:

  1. Our experiences make us stronger. Smooth roads never make good drivers. Trust people, but never give in completely.
    Good post btw :)
    Nupur

    ReplyDelete